Deciding on the party’s nominee
- What factors affected the outcome of this race?
Electing the President
Should we abolish the Electoral College? What would be the consequences of doing so?
How would you redesign the US electoral system/electoral college system?
- What criteria should electoral systems be evaluated on?
- How does US electoral system perform based on these criteria?
- What could be changed and how?
- What are the consequences you expect these changes will have on the criteria stated above?
2012 Presidential Campaign Finance
Mad Money: TV ads in the 2012 presidential campaign
Guide: How you can spend $$$ in politics
Winning the Media Campaign 2012
Political Polarization & Media Habits
FactChecking the Iowa Senate Race
Gallup’s most important problem in the U.S. — Oct. 2014
Why focus on the negative? Is it fair?
Americans: My Member OK, Most in Congress Are Not
Who voted in 2014?
About 36.4% of the voting-eligible population cast ballots in 2014 (http://www.electproject.org/2014g).
- What’s the deal with midterm elections?
- What motivates people to vote in elections? How can we encourage participation in elections?
How will changes in US demographics affect voting in the future?
10 Maps That Explain the Next Election
Ideology and Partisanship
Party ID by age, race, gender – Pew: Trends in Party Affiliation
DW NOMINATE places ideologically similar legislators (e.g., liberal Senators Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Al Franken (D-Minn.)) closer to each other, and farther from dissimilar legislators (e.g., conservative Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.)) based on the degree of agreement between their roll call voting records.
Does media drive polarization among voters?
Political polarization & media habits
Where News Audiences Fit on the Political Spectrum
Jon Stewart– Media bias on Ferguson
Ferguson & partisan polarization on twitter